Getting Data In

reformat date, timestamp

efelder0
Communicator

I am trying to reformat a date/time stamp field from within my output.

Here is the current format: 21:32:31-Dec 08 2011

New format: 12/08/2011 21:32:31 AM/PM

thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Convert it to an intermediate time_t and back again, using eval's strptime and strftime functions. Something like:

blah blah blah | eval myfield=strftime(strptime(myfield,"%H:%M:S-%b %d %Y"),"%M/%D/%Y %I:%M:%S %P"))
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Does Splunk recognize this as a timestamp? For my answer below, I will assume that Splunk extracted the date into the _time field. An easy way to do this is to create a new field with eval:

<yoursearchhere> | eval formattedTime = strftime(_time, "%D %r") | table formattedTime <otherfieldshere>

Once you have created the new field, you can use it however you like; I just supplied the table command as an example. Google "strftime" for more formatting options.
If the datetime is contained in a different field, substitute that field name for _time. If Splunk didn't extract the field for you, post a bit more of the event (showing the timestamp in context) and someone will be able to help you extract it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...