Getting Data In

nullQueue question - Palo Logs

danielfurtaw
Engager

Hi Splunk folks,

My team is seeing a pesky issue with Palo Alto logs where a small subset are not being sourcetyped into pan:traffic/threat, etc. As the pan:log is the default, we have a few logs that keep this sourcetype. We have attempted to regex and nullQueue out the remainder of the pan:log logs, but no success. When we implement this TRANSFORMS/Props.conf entry, we place it at the end as we understood the order followed a left to right priority.

Example of a log that is being sourcetyped as "pan:log", and we would want to drop. It seems as if this is fragmented from Syslog, but nonetheless, junk to us.

000-1823048e98,0,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2021-11-10T10:04:03.905+00:00,,,infrastructure,networking,network-protocol,3,"used-by-malware,has-known-vulnerability,pervasive-use",,dns,no,no,0

Palo Alto props.conf:

[pan_log]
pulldown_type = false
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIME_PREFIX = ^(?:[^,]*,){5}
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 100
TRANSFORMS-sourcetype = pan_threat, pan_traffic, pan_system, pan_config, pan_hipmatch, pan_correlation, pan_userid, pan_globalprotect, pan_decryption

We added a new nullQueue entry into the transforms.conf and then inserted the pan_discard after the last entry in the transforms above.

[pan_discard]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Any suggestions?

Labels (4)
0 Karma

bhargavi
Path Finder

Hi @danielfurtaw ,

Nullqueue entry in transforms.conf looks fine.

As far as I know, entry for TRANSFORMS- in the props.conf only matters. It executes from Right to Left.
Order does not matter in the transforms.conf file.

i.e. From the below entries, first pan_decryption is executed, then pan_globalprotect and so on. 

TRANSFORMS-sourcetype = pan_threat, pan_traffic, pan_system, pan_config, pan_hipmatch, pan_correlation, pan_userid, pan_globalprotect, pan_decryption

So if you have the regexes ready for all the below transform segments..  you need to place pan_discard in the first.

TRANSFORMS-sourcetype = pan_discard ,pan_threat, pan_traffic, pan_system, pan_config, pan_hipmatch, pan_correlation, pan_userid, pan_globalprotect, pan_decryption

So after all the regexes are executed, pan_discard comes into picture and the remaining logs will be sent to nullQueue.

Try the above and let me know . If its helps, please give an upvote 🙂

Happy Splunking 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...