Getting Data In

max even forwarding speed when maxKBps is unlimited and useACK is enabled

w531t4
Path Finder

Out of curiosity, could folks give an estimate as to the maximum sustained throughput they have observed by a forwarder when the forwarder's maxKBps limit is uncapped, and the forwarder is configured to use useACK. If possible, please also include estimated system specs of source/destination, and other observations -- like if cpu was capped on either, or any network constraints.

In our situation, we're seeing roughly a max 'group=thruput, name=thruput, instantaneous_kbps=5979.775845'. Source and Dest are connected on local 1g network, no excessive CPU use, no interface packet errors or loss on either. Trying to get a feel for whether 100mbit+ speeds on a single forwarder are known to be possible with useACK and i need to begin troubleshooting elsewhere..

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Karma

jtacy
Builder

In my testing with Cisco ASA data, I don't see much of a difference with useACK on or off. I get about 12.5 MB/s on modest hardware with useACK enabled and maybe 5% better with useACK disabled. That's with a Universal Forwarder and indexer both running 6.4.0 on separate RHEL7 VMs. Those VMs each have 8 2GHz cores from a Xeon E7-4850 and I'm almost certain that I would need a faster CPU to get more throughput out of them. The indexer is using between 4-5 cores in this configuration which I believe is essentially its maximum with a single indexing pipeline. The forwarder uses a tiny fraction of a core.

You mentioned that the maxKBps limit is uncapped which implies that you're using a Universal Forwarder. That's good; there might be a way to tune a heavy forwarder to match the throughput of a UF, but all I've seen is slower forwarding and higher CPU cost on the indexer and forwarder. I've also observed a big speed penalty when using SSL on a heavy forwarder.

My guess is that if you're using a UF and can't get better than about 6 MB/s, there's something about your data that's limiting the throughput and it's spending too long in other queues before it hits the indexing queue. Props tuning might help; I personally like the visual on slide 13 from this .conf presentation: https://conf.splunk.com/session/2014/conf2014_DritanBitincka_Splunk_UsingTrack.pdf

All of that said, if there's no simple optimization available and you're on at least 6.3, maybe enabling multiple pipeline (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Indexer/Pipelinesets) will get you what you need. The catch is that if you're currently reading a single file you'll need to find a way to break it up into at least 2 separate files to boost your performance. You'll also end up using more cores but it sounds like you have them.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...