Getting Data In

how to configure log4net with nested JSON?

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

This is really a log4net question but I'm hoping the folks here can help; I have been unsuccessful at searching online for a solution.

-----------------

We have a custom application which generates local logs in JSON format via the log4net module. We then have a Splunk UF installed to collect said logs. In general that all works fine. The problem is that some log messages include a nested JSON 'message' field -- but log4net is misformatting it as a string and so Splunk doesn't parse the nested part.

You can see the issue (below) where log4net is unnecessarily adding quote-marks around the nested part:

CURRENT/INVALID

"message":"{"command":"Transform271ToBenefitResponse","ms":1}"

PROPER

"message":{"command":"Transform271ToBenefitResponse","ms":1}

--------------------------

I'm not entirely sure of the log4net configuration but here's what I was told by one of our developers:

ORIGINAL LOG4NET CONFIG

<conversionPattern value="%utcdate [%property{CorrelationId}] [%property{companyId}] [%property{userId}] [%thread] [%level] %logger - %message%newline" />

UPDATED CONFIG; STILL FAILS

<conversionPattern value="{&quot;date&quot;:&quot;%date{ISO8601}&quot;, &quot;correlationId&quot;:&quot;%property{CorrelationId}&quot;, &quot;companyId&quot;:&quot;%property{companyId}&quot;, &quot;userId&quot;:&quot;%property{userId}&quot;, &quot;thread&quot;:&quot;%thread&quot;, &quot;level&quot;:&quot;%level&quot;, &quot;logger&quot;:&quot;%logger&quot;, &quot;message&quot;:&quot;%message&quot;}%newline" />

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...