Getting Data In

dynamically create input.conf with multiple inputs

nileshbairagi

Hello,

I am a splunk user and need help/ suggestion to use splunk in specific scenario.
I need to use splunk in multi-server servers environment, where server configurations are dynamic and scripted.
For each server there are multiple inputs for logs in inputs.conf (like app, system, backend server etc.)

Is there a way to drop multiple conf files like nginx in conf.d and then include them?
OR each server config script will edit the single input.conf and add its own input.

This is because i want to generate input.conf dynamically based on server configuration.
Any help/ suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think what you want is exactly what is handled by the standard Splunk configuration system, since multiple inputs.conf files are merged if they are in multiple folders. Please read the documenation on configuration files to see how to arrange the files, as well as rules on conflict resolution.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Aboutconfigurationfiles

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

You can dynamically create, update and remove inputs(file, tcp, udp etc..) via the Splunk REST API.

And we have several language SDKs to make it easier to program to the REST API

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...