Getting Data In

detected_host, detected_timestamp, etc. with JSON file source

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I upload a file containing JSON records or monitor such a file/scripted input, a field named host becomes "detected_host", timestamp becomes "detected_timestamp", etc.  Is there some way to persuade indexer to accept these fields as host, _time, etc.?

I am looking at a number of such sources all with varying field names for these.  So, I hope by renaming/setting corresponding commonly used fields I could just use the default _json sourcetype without resorting to search time tricks.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuanliu 

Splunk doesn't prefix the fieldnames as detected* this could be some pre-existing settings at search/index time  modifying host, timestamp fields. Let's continue...to solution

To answers your query, for timestamp field use props.conf - TIME_PREFIX, TIME_FORMAT variables to consider as _time by Splunk. Should be deployed to HF/indexer.

host field in your json can be assigned to host default field using both props.conf, transforms.conf.

##This is just example of host override, should be deployed to HF/indexer. #works for any input type UF/scripted input

#props.conf
[your_json_sourcetype/host::<hostname>/source::<your_source>]
TRANSFORMS-host = hostoverride

#Transforms.conf Override host: , REGEX should match your host in json payload
[hostoverride]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = \s(\w*)$
FORMAT = host::$1

---

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuanliu 

Splunk doesn't prefix the fieldnames as detected* this could be some pre-existing settings at search/index time  modifying host, timestamp fields. Let's continue...to solution

To answers your query, for timestamp field use props.conf - TIME_PREFIX, TIME_FORMAT variables to consider as _time by Splunk. Should be deployed to HF/indexer.

host field in your json can be assigned to host default field using both props.conf, transforms.conf.

##This is just example of host override, should be deployed to HF/indexer. #works for any input type UF/scripted input

#props.conf
[your_json_sourcetype/host::<hostname>/source::<your_source>]
TRANSFORMS-host = hostoverride

#Transforms.conf Override host: , REGEX should match your host in json payload
[hostoverride]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
REGEX = \s(\w*)$
FORMAT = host::$1

---

An upvote would be appreciated if it helps!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, this is the behavior on a pretty clean install.

As you explained, if I want to set host/time/eventtype, etc., at index time for a JSON file, there is no escape from doing custom sourcetype, even if I change field names to host, _time,  etc.  Thanks, @venkatasri!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...