Getting Data In

deployment-app controlled outputs.conf not working

dkr3500
Path Finder

Hello,

I have a standalone Splunk Enterprise system (version 9.x) with 10 UFs reporting (Splunk Enterprise and the UFs are all Windows OSs) - the Splunk Enterprise standalone system is an all-in-one: indexer, search head, deployment server, license manager, monitoring console...

I created a deployment app which to push out a standard outputs.conf file to all the UFs and it pushed out successfully, just like all the other deployment apps.  I deleted the ~etc\system\local\outputs.conf from the UFs, restarted Splunk UF, made sure that the deployment app showed up in ~etc\apps\ (it did).  But now that the outputs.conf is no longer in ~etc\system\local, I'm getting this:

WARN AutoLoadBalancedConnectionStrategy [pid TcpOutEloop] - cooked connection to ip=<xx.xx.xxx.xxx>:9997 timed out

I've made sure there isn't any other outputs.conf, especially not in ~etc\system\local it that it doesn't mess with the order of precedence, restared the UF, and everytime I get the same Warning...and of course, the logs aren't being sent to the indexer.  But it does still phone home, but no actual logs.

When I run:

btool --debut outputs.conf list

I don't get any output.

But as soon as I get rid of this deployment app and put the same outputs.conf file back in ~etc\system\local, restart the UF, logs are being sent to the indexer.  And my deployment app's structure is the same as the other deployment apps that do work...What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dkr3500
Path Finder

Solved.  My deployment app's outputs.conf file was using the wrong IP address of the Splunk indexer.  Some IP changes were made that I wasn't aware of and didn't notice it until now.  Once I updated the deployment app's outputs.conf file with the correct IP address, the cooked connection error went away and logs were getting to the indexer.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dkr3500
Path Finder

Solved.  My deployment app's outputs.conf file was using the wrong IP address of the Splunk indexer.  Some IP changes were made that I wasn't aware of and didn't notice it until now.  Once I updated the deployment app's outputs.conf file with the correct IP address, the cooked connection error went away and logs were getting to the indexer.

Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...