Getting Data In

connecting SPLUNK to ODBC Data Base

Moshe

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to connect the SPLUNK to a ODCB data base, so the Splunk will be able to pull any data needed from that data base.

So far, I have been told that the SPLUNK is working with JDBC and the other product is working with ODBC, so there is no way to make that connection.

Can someone tell me otherwise?

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @Moshe,

Before Java 8, Oracle (and Sun prior to its acquisition) included a JDBC-ODBC bridge driver with Java for Windows. Java 7 support ended  in 2022, and Splunk DB Connect support for Java 7 ended many years ago.

If no JDBC driver is available for your data source, you may be able to find a current JDBC-ODBC bridge solution from OpenText (formerly Micro Focus, which acquired Serena Software and Merant), CData, or another vendor. Those vendors may also sell a JDBC driver for your data source; however, not all JDBC drivers support the interfaces required by Splunk DB Connect.

Which ODBC driver and/or database platform are you trying to query? A scripted input might be the easiest solution to your problem.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ODBC is not a database but a standardized way of accessing the database - any database for which there is a n appropriate ODBC driver.

So there is no such thing as "ODBC database".

Same goes for JDBC - it's another abstraction layer providing common interface to databases.

Question is what database you have and what do you want to do with it and is there a jdbc driver for your particular database because if there is you can use the DBConnect with proper jdbc data source.

0 Karma

Moshe

Hi @PickleRick 

Thank you for your replay, as you probably noticed, I'm not a Data Base person.

can you please explain me how I can find out what kind of Data Base I have?

and what kind of data base there are?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, since you need to connect to an existing database, it must have been set up and be maintained by someone. That's the easiest way to find out - go and ask 🙂

You can find most popular engines here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_database#List_of_database_engines (among other sources).

0 Karma

kiran_panchavat
Contributor
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...