Getting Data In

changes to config files

sundaresh83
Explorer

Hi..
I was used to using splunk as a single instance in my laptop. I am new to forwarders and indexes. I have log data in the form of csv files available(with headers) . Assuming data is in /abc/data_files and splunk forwarder files are in /abc/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local.
In the local I only find these files
deploymentclient.conf, inputs.conf, outputs.conf, README, server.conf.
When I opened inputs.conf and outputs.conf I found them to be empty.

1. How do I make the forwarder to pick the files from the location and start loading the data.
  2. How do I create a new index so that I can handle the data better.
  3. Why is there no props.conf file? Dont I need it? Why are the other files empty?

I do not know if I am even in the right direction in wanting to make changes in the forwarder. I am really lost. Please consider me to be a beginner. Please let me step by step or point me to a document to figure out how to do this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...