Getting Data In

Wrong timestamp Palo Alto

norbertt911
Path Finder

Dear Splunkers,

Sorry about this, but I never did such thing before...

My Splunk is in EU and now I added PaloAlto firewall logs (collected by a Syslog and UF pushing them to Splunk) from AUS.

The timestamping is wrong.

First of all the today's events (11/06) are indexed on11th of Jun (06/11).  On the top, it is indexed two hours ahead than the current time.

now the events look like this :

11/06/2020
13:45:43.000

06-11-2020 21:45:43 User.Info 10.180.160.41 Nov 6 21:45:43 Firewall.device.name 1, ..........................................................

I'm using the Palo Alto add-on default for the source type, just the time zone changed to Sydney.  (Timestamp prefix : ^(?:[^,]*,){5}   ;   Lookahead 100)

Could you please advise what I should do? (what will happen if I  will have the same source type logs to the same index but from a different timezone? ) 

Regards,

Norbert

Labels (2)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @norbertt911 the props.conf setting on timestamp recognition got some issues. Can you copy paste your props/transforms here(after hiding the hostname values)

norbertt911
Path Finder

Meanwhile, I found it 🙂

The Palo alto add-on permission was limited to the app, not Global. So if I search in Paloalto app it is ok, but that strange behavior in the default Search app.

Only the "bonus" question left. What will happen if I will have the same source type but from a different time zone? I should clone the original pan:log source type with a different time zone setting and add this new source type to props/transforms.conf?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...