Getting Data In

WinEventLog:Security EventCode 4732 Name instead of SID in Splunk- How can I view the account or username?

garrywilmeth
Explorer

Hello,

I have all auditing enabled via GPO and I am getting WinEventLog:Security logs in Splunk.  I am attempting to generate an alert when a user or group is added to local admin on a host.  I see the SID that gets added in the Win event log on the host showing as the group or account name, but I see the corresponding event in Splunk showing the same entry as the alpha/numeric SID.  How can I view the account or username in Splunk for these events?

Thanks,

Garry

Labels (2)
0 Karma

chrisRed

This appears to be an old post, but for the sake of others looking for solutions, the win event id does return account name fields. Sometimes, if your running in smart mode, you may not see all fields, so I recommend using verbose mode, then extract the fields you need. I noticed the Account_Name field has more than one entry, so it helps to add a | eval user = mvindex(Account_Name, 0) to filter out unwanted info.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...