Getting Data In

Why is LINE_BREAKER not always separating?

New Member

I have a log that starts each event by a new line starting with a timestamp followed by a space and pipe, like the following:

2016-04-01T02:55:24.030 |

I have tried setting up props.conf with a new sourcetype, first trying BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE, then LINE_BREAKER. They both seem to work most of the time, but I am still finding chunks of several events lumped into one. I inspected the clumping events in the logs manually, expecting missing line end characters or some other red flag, but haven't found any real reason why the line break isn't working.

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE:
[newsource]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=([0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}T[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]*\s+|)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
MAX_EVENTS=1000000
TRUNCATE=0
(Note: I have also tried this without the regex wrapped as a group)

LINE_BREAKER:
[newsource]
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)([0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}T[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2}.[0-9]*\s+|)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
TRUNCATE=0
(I have also tried this without the timestamp portion group-wrapped)

Any ideas why I'm getting these random clusters of events which should be separated?
Thanks!

(Using Splunk universal forwarder 6.2.3)

0 Karma

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this atry

[yoursourcetype]
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)\d+-\d+-\d+T\d+:\d+:\d+\.\d+\s+\|
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
TIME_PREFIX = ^
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%N
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 23
0 Karma

New Member

That seems to have the same effect

0 Karma

New Member

Turns out both were correct. I assumed that queried events in the UI meant that indexing was complete. Looks like the events were not fully processed when I was checking on them. Apologies for the time waste.

0 Karma
State of Splunk Careers

Access the Splunk Careers Report to see real data that shows how Splunk mastery increases your value and job satisfaction.

Find out what your skills are worth!