Getting Data In

Why do soft deleted sources return after indexer restart?

jaredlaney
Contributor

Why do soft deleted sources return after indexer restart? This has happened to us every time. We are performing a high number of soft deletes.

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I cannot reproduce this on my standalone instance. However, I did find an open bug which describes your symptoms when using |delete in an indexer cluster (SPL-100516).

Are you using a clustered deployment?

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

Yes, we are using a clustered deployment.

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

I can't access this bug. Is there anyway you could send me a quick explanation on it?

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

All I can provide you is the bug description: Events deleted in an index cluster via the "| delete" search operator reappear after cluster restart

If you are a Splunk customer with a support entitlement, please open a support case for this, so your case# can be added to the bug ticket.

jaredlaney
Contributor

Ok, thanks. Will do.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No problem. It may be worthwhile thinking about a different approach to solving your use case. As you may know, | delete does not physically delete events, it just prevents them from being searchable.
Maybe you can configure your index retention settings such that old data ages out according to your needs.
Or use tags to flag outdated events and modify your searches to not include tagged events, if you cannot reliably use _time to limit your search results to the latest data.
Just a thought.

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

We are using frozentimeperiodinsecs.

We are not using tags to flag outdated data. Do you have a good reference?

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry, on second thought, using tags is probably not going to work well for this, unless you have a single field value in your dataset that is common to all events you need to hide. For example, if you can use a date field, you could tag all events from a specific date as "outdated" and include something like NOT "tag::date=outdated to your searches.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Can you elaborate a bit, please? What's a "soft deleted source"? Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do and what symptoms you are seeing?

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

@ssievert - Any ideas on this?

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

Sure. we pipe to delete quite often. Like the following:

index=index1 | delete

We consider this to be the fake or soft delete compared to the cli index truncate

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, so you are saying that when you are doing a | delete and restart your indexer, the events that were subject to deletion are searchable again?
What exact version of Splunk are you running?

0 Karma

jaredlaney
Contributor

We're running 6.2.2. Yes, we have a series of what we call snapshot indexes where we delete the data daily and re-ingest.

Yes, old source files reappear and are searchable when we restart our indexers.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...