Getting Data In

Why do my inline eval statements work with spath, but do not as calculated fields in props.conf?

jwalthour
Communicator

Why does this work:

index=dns sourcetype=stream:dns
| eval host_addresses=spath(_raw,"host_addr{}")
| eval hostnames=spath(_raw,”hostname{}”)
| eval message_types=spath(_raw,"message_type{}")
| eval names=spath(_raw,"name{}")
| eval queries=spath(_raw,"query{}")
| eval query_types=spath(_raw,"query_type{}")
| eval ttls=spath(_raw,"ttl{}")

but this does not in props.conf:

[stream:dns]
EXTRACT-host_addresses = spath(_raw,"host_addr{}")
EXTRACT-message_types = spath(_raw,"message_type{}")
EXTRACT-hostnames = spath(_raw,"hostname{}")
EXTRACT-names = spath(_raw,"name{}")
EXTRACT-queries = spath(_raw,"query{}")
EXTRACT-query_types = spath(_raw,"query_type{}")
EXTRACT-ttls = spath(_raw,"ttl{}")
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

EXTRACT works with regex, not with spath. You could try with EVAL statements in your props.conf.

But it might make more sense to just apply something like KV_MODE = json in your props.conf. Or just get the splunk stream TA on your search heads, which should be able to handle all the field extraction stuff for such data I would say?

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

EXTRACT works with regex, not with spath. You could try with EVAL statements in your props.conf.

But it might make more sense to just apply something like KV_MODE = json in your props.conf. Or just get the splunk stream TA on your search heads, which should be able to handle all the field extraction stuff for such data I would say?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...