Getting Data In

Why did syslog stopped sending logs to indexer?

Lwoods
Path Finder

Hello,

I have a syslog server that collects logs from various hosts, (esxi).  The syslog is currently receiving the logs each day from the hosts and puts them the  "data/ES/" directory.  I have splunkforwarder installed the syslog and inside the splunkforwarder, I have the esxi add-on app.

Inside the esxi add-on app 

I have created an input stanza that monitors the data and sent to the indexer 

[monitor:///data/ES/]
disabled = false
index = vmware-esxilog
sourcetype = vmw-syslog

The logs stopped sending to the indexer several days ago.  However, my firewall logs are still sending to the indexer.  The firewall logs are sent the same directory "/data/fire/" and then sent to index.  What am I missing?  

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Lwoods,

if the Forwarder is sending other logs and your configuration worked since few days ago, the easiest solution is that something changed in the intermediate channel: esxi syslog configuration or firewall routes.

I suppose that you already checked them, is it correct?

if you're using tcp as protocol check using telnet the connection between esxi and HF.

then check the traffic through the intermediate firewall and see, using tcpdump, if your HF is receiving from your esxi on your protocol and your port.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Lwoods,

obvious question: there was change in your firewall routes or configurations in the last days?

In general I always put a file indication in the stanza header, e.g.

[monitor:///data/ES/*]

Are there logs after the 1st of June or logs stopped to arrive with the end of May?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Lwoods
Path Finder

Hello,  

Firewall logs are still sending logs to syslog, and syslog is forwarding them up to the indexer.   Esxi and other devices have stopped reporting 12 days ago.  8 June.   

What could be wrong?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Lwoods,

if the Forwarder is sending other logs and your configuration worked since few days ago, the easiest solution is that something changed in the intermediate channel: esxi syslog configuration or firewall routes.

I suppose that you already checked them, is it correct?

if you're using tcp as protocol check using telnet the connection between esxi and HF.

then check the traffic through the intermediate firewall and see, using tcpdump, if your HF is receiving from your esxi on your protocol and your port.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Lwoods
Path Finder

Hello,  

Thanks for the response.   The esxi logs add-on installed on the deployment app, didn't match what was on the syslog.  All the deployment apps are pushed down to the syslog.  When configuring inputs.conf (monitor stanza) I didn't mirror those settings in the deployment server.  Once I fixed it, it worked.  

Thanks for all you help and expertise..

Happy Splunking

Lisa

0 Karma

Lwoods
Path Finder

This also applies to my rsa logs, which stopped sending logs 7 days ago.

0 Karma

Lwoods
Path Finder

The logs stopped sending yesterday.  Firewall logs are still sending

Do you put a wildcard inside the monitor stanza  like this: 

[monitor:///data/ES/*]
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...