Getting Data In

Why did my indexers have a large spike in io?

paimonsoror
Builder

Hi Folks;

Wondering if someone could help me out here. I just had a big issue with Splunk. 3 of my Indexers just crashed for a bit (replication factor of 3). One of the services crashed with a bucket replication error (i fixed this), server 2 the service crashed and was simply restarted, server 3 completely got hung and required a reboot.

After taking a quick peek, all of the stats are looking 'normal' including cpu/ physical/ storage, however, there was something that jumped out at me which was the iostats:

alt text

Any particular reason this would start to happen? I just checked my forwarders and I dont see anything out of the ordinary with a large ramp in data ingestion

alt text

I am working with my Linux team to restore one of my servers and they are stating that there was a "kernel level CPU soft lockup"

Any Advice would be helpful in triaging this!

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Out of curiosity, is this with virtual storage, say a SAN on the backend?

Reason I ask, this is consistent across your whole indexing tier, at the same time. So Id either look at data ingestion to see if you had a huge spike in ingestion, or if something else occured with the underlying infra. If its SAN, or shared storage on a platform like VMware, perhaps there was some type of controller issue that happened....

Support should be able to help also. Keep us updated.

0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

Not sure if this helps in telling anymore of the story, but our performance team came back with the following data showing 4 of my 5 production indexers;

alt text

0 Karma

jtacy
Builder

I think the crucial question is when the excessive I/O started; before or after the first failure. If a host fails, Splunk is going to immediately begin trying to get back to the intended replication and search factors to protect your data. That could be a hard-hitting process if you have a lot of data and you're on shared disk. I imagine it could lead to a chain reaction in an extreme case. Actually, if you're on shared disk I wonder if someone else might have triggered this; what kind of storage are you working with?

0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

I am almost positive that we are on dedicated LUNs for our Splunk servers, but I will certainly validate. Also, the screenshot above is my production environment, which was not part of the outage that I mentioned in my first post. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

Couldn't add more attachments to my original post @ddrillic so hopefully this works:

Test Environment (Using about 200GB of license / day)
alt text

Prod Environment (Using about 1TB of license / day)
alt text

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Really interesting. We had recently a similar situation.

This query can help in identifying stress on the indexers. If you run it for the past week, it would be interesting to see the results -

index=_internal group=queue blocked name=indexqueue | timechart count by host

In our case, the indexers' queues got filled up and the 9997 port on some of them were closed for a couple of days. Only bouncing the indexers opened up the 9997 ports. You can run the following - netstat -plnt | grep 9997 to check whether they are open. We also created a monitoring page for the 9997 ports to detect this type of situation. We increased the indexers' queues and we are doing much better.

Support recommends to run iostat 1 5 and they say that %iowait shouldn't pass 1% consistently over time . They didn't explain the reasoning behind the threshold of the 1%.

0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

Thanks for the quick response as always!! I have updated my original post with the query results for both my production environment and my test environment.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...