Getting Data In

Why did Splunk stop ingesting?

Roy_9
Motivator

Hello,

I have a usecase where few servers stopped ingesting for 3-4 hrs when the user is doing performance testing on those servers and then servers started ingesting again automatically, I am not sure what caused the ingestion to stop.

During the time when the ingestion has stopped, logs are still available on the server

Please help me with the troubleshooting on what might have caused for this issue and how I can remediate this?

Thanks in advance

Labels (3)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Roy_9,

probably the performance tests gave an overload on resources so your hardware hasn't the necessary resources to read and forwarrd logs.

You can test queues using this search:

index=_internal  source=*metrics.log sourcetype=splunkd group=queue host=<your_host>
| eval name=case(name=="aggqueue","2 - Aggregation Queue",
 name=="indexqueue", "4 - Indexing Queue",
 name=="parsingqueue", "1 - Parsing Queue",
 name=="typingqueue", "3 - Typing Queue",
 name=="splunktcpin", "0 - TCP In Queue",
 name=="tcpin_cooked_pqueue", "0 - TCP In Queue") 
| eval max=if(isnotnull(max_size_kb),max_size_kb,max_size) 
| eval curr=if(isnotnull(current_size_kb),current_size_kb,current_size) 
| eval fill_perc=round((curr/max)*100,2) 
| bin _time span=1m
| stats Median(fill_perc) AS "fill_percentage" max(max) AS max max(curr) AS curr by host, _time, name 
| where (fill_percentage>70 AND name!="4 - Indexing Queue") OR (fill_percentage>70 AND name="4 - Indexing Queue")
| sort -_time

If you'll find queues at 100%, you'll have found the reason of the stop.

Ciao.

Giusepep

Roy_9
Motivator

Hello @gcusello 

The parsing queues fill percentages are less than 70% when the testing was run, I am not sure on what other factors that are causing the issue.Do yo have any thoughts?

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Roy_9,

I can only suppose that tha testing activities have an hogher priority than Splunk activities, so they have to wait for the end of the other activities.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...