Getting Data In

Why am I unable to index a file if the size is too small? Is there a minimum file size setting?

gauravmishra15
Path Finder

Hi Friends,

I am facing an issue where SPLUNK does not index a file if the size is too low. The file sits in a UNC location(NAS), therefore, I created a data input to monitor the file. Splunk started indexing this file when the file size increased (I believe more than 800KB).

I believe Splunk has a limit to indicate the minimum file size to be indexed. Please help me finding the setting and overriding it.

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Gaurav,

There shouldn't be any minimum size for file to monitor. I have just configured file of size 126 bytes and it monitors. Splunk monitors the file and picks up the events if it has any content inside. The only possibility is that the file was indexed earlier and hence it didn't index again. Splunk checks first few bytes to determine if the file was already read

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...