Getting Data In

What kind of forwarder do I have?

robert_vincent
Engager

I've inherited a distributed Splunk installation with no internal documentation and no access to the tech who originally installed it.

How can I tell, from examination of config files, whether a given forwarder is "Light", "Heavy", or "Universal" ?

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

check the inputs.conf/outputs.conf files. They will give you a hint

0 Karma

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One way to do it:

Check your metrics.log for the value of a field called fwdType. You'll see:

UF (universal), LWF (Light Weight Fowarder, HWF (Heavy Weight Fowarder), FULL (splunk forwarding) for values.

Search: index=_internal source=*metrics.log fwdType= *

Example event:

INFO Metrics - group=tcpin_connections, 76.89.103.115:63150:9998, connectionType=cooked, sourcePort=63150, sourceHost=76.89.103.115, sourceIp=76.89.103.115, destPort=9998, _tcp_Bps=28427.55, _tcp_KBps=27.76, _tcp_avg_thruput=27.76, kb=415.15, tcpKprocessed=415.15, _tcp_eps=17.19, build=143156, version=5.0.1, os=Windows, arch=x64, hostname=Rick-Dualcore, guid=22A95A43-68AE-4052-9864-8B771F34A8F0, fwdType=full, ssl=false, lastIndexer=None, ack=false

varad_joshi
Communicator

Thank you for this. If my Splunk is listening on UDP as well then will to show here?
I searched in my environment with 'index=_internal source=*metrics.log | top fwdType' and I got only uf and full. How do I get UDP as well?

0 Karma

varad_joshi
Communicator

I typed that too early..

Little search and I was able to find it.

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=udpin_connections | dedup sourcePort

0 Karma

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Great thanks!

0 Karma

robert_vincent
Engager

Thanks; I modified your suggested search as follows:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log | top fwdType

Looks like all our forwarders are "uf"

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

And for Heavy/Light you will have a full splunk instance i.e. splunkd, splunkweb will be available but not in universal forwarder..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...