Getting Data In

What is the procedure in 2023 to get license expiry info via search?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello!

My objective is to put the license expiry on a dashboard.  I read some older posts that state I can call a REST endpoint, but those seem to be out of date as the functionality is no longer available.

What is the recommended way in 2023 to retrieve license expiry information so that it can be displayed on a dashboard?  I don't want to have to revert to storing a fixed value in a lookup... 🙂

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

hi @andrewtrobec 

You can run this below query to get license details.

| rest /services/licenser/licenses
| transpose

~ If the reply helps, a karma upvote would be appreciated.

0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@Gr0und_Z3r0 Thank you for the response!  Unfortunately this command does not return any results.  I am running it as local administrator in the search app.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

I'm able to see the results on Splunk version 9.0.2
Also, ensure your role have the capabilities to get rest responses.

Gr0und_Z3r0_0-1680083881104.png

0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Thanks again @Gr0und_Z3r0.  I am running Splunk 8.2.6.  Also, I am running the search on the Search Head that is not used as License Manager.  I also have the same permissions for admin role:

screenshot.png

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Andrew

0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

does it have license read capability?

Gr0und_Z3r0_0-1680086019259.png

0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@Gr0und_Z3r0 Thanks again for the response.  I did not have that capability enabled for "admin" role, but after enabling it still didn't solve 😕

I tried debug/refresh as well, but no luck.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor
0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@Gr0und_Z3r0 Thanks for the support, much appreciated.  I ensured that all rest related capabilities were enabled, unfortunately still no dice.  What I did discover, though, was that I can list the licenser services no problem:

screenshot.png

I can even call some of them.  For example I can list the usage:

screenshot_2.png

I'll continue to investigate and update if I find anything.

Best regards,

Andrew

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...