Getting Data In

What is the easiest way to get data from a Kiwi Syslog server into Splunk?

kforr74
Explorer

We have two Kiwi Syslog servers and we would like to migrate the existing data flow from the Kiwi Syslog servers over to Splunk. What is the best way to do this? Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

andykiely
Path Finder

I use a log to file action on the kiwi syslog server (I filter into various files) and then use a Universal Forwarder to send the files to splunk.

Regards
Andy

starcher
Influencer

I agree with Andy. Best practice is collect syslog at something like Kiwi, syslog-ng then use a universal forwarder to pickup. That way you can assign index, sourcetype etc to the files you pick up especially when they differ in groups you want to give log access back to in splunk (by index).

0 Karma

riqbal
Communicator

hi @starcher,

I am forwarding logs from sophos to central syslog server. the logs are getting save in /central/%hostname% location.
I install the universal forwarder on syslog server and also install the sophos add on SH.

Now what should I put input.conf and output.conf.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...