Getting Data In

What is the correct use of $ oken on alert email notification?

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi Splunkers, I have to configure, as alerts trigger actions, a mail sending that should have, in body test, some field contained in triggering events.
I found here on community this post: How to implement tokens in Email alert? that explain vey clear to use $result.<field_name>$ notation but also that "the field you want to specify must be returned in the first result row of the search".

So now a question arise.

Suppose I have this sample search:

index=* sourcetype=cybereason:malware status=detected 
| stats count by machineName

It return rows with 2 fields: the machine where infection has been detected and the event count. So, I should be able to use, in my mail notification:

$result.machineName$
$result.count$

but not $result.status$, cause it is used only as a filter and is not returned as search result. Am I wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

that's correct. But you can get also status to your search by this change

| stats count values(status) as status by machineNam

This just add a new fields which shows all different status values. As you have only one status this works  as you need.

r. Ismo

View solution in original post

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

that's correct. But you can get also status to your search by this change

| stats count values(status) as status by machineNam

This just add a new fields which shows all different status values. As you have only one status this works  as you need.

r. Ismo

abi2023
Path Finder

Can I use same token concept in Splunk ES adaptive response action send email action if my notable event return the field?

0 Karma

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi @isoutamo, thanks a lot. Yea, I know how to return value using a stats, with value(argument) command or other, my question was to confirm I have to use "more complex" search if I need more fields in notification.

Another question arise now: if I have a simple search without transforming command, like:

what will happend? The doubt is: due I use no transforming command, I will be able to access all fields in the logs OR the opposite, and so I will not able to add fields in notification, because I did not specified what field to return?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct. However, you could add the status back to the stats command

| stats count by machineName status

Then you would have access to $result.status$ as well

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...