Getting Data In

What is the Max length of event that SED can manipulate?

oliverja
Path Finder

I am ingesting some JSON events, and one of the fields is just a massive spammy "//0//0//0//0" repeated 15000+ times. I know my regexes are working fine, and I accomplished this by changing my lookahead in transforms:

[extractMessage]
REGEX = "original":([\s\S]*?})},"
LOOKAHEAD=100000
DEST_KEY= _raw
FORMAT = $1
WRITE_META = true

BUT sedcmd doesnt listen to lookahead as defined in transforms, because it has to be called from props, and props has no lookahead!

So looking at my props.conf:

[host::xx]
SEDCMD-tst = s/(?:a){20,}/yoink/g

I made a bigass file of the letter "a", and counted how many chars were on each event. Then the sedcmd went in and replaced the "a"s with "yoink". Behold....

SEDCMD stops working at 4105 chars. I NEED MORE. How to expand SEDs reach?

oliverja_0-1652343565830.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

jlarsonq
Explorer

I was wondering if you found a solution for this issue? I came across the same issue with the SEDCMD not being able to look ahead long enough.  I am trying to truncate out a field from the JSON while keeping the rest intact.

0 Karma

cssmdi
Explorer

Finally it turned out, that it was not a sed problem. There are sed versions that only support a limited line length. In my case I had to change some other properties:

• I had to add TRUNCATE = 75000 in props.conf to the source::-stanza, as there is the sedcmd in my configuration.
  • I had to add LOOKAHEAD = 80000 in transforms.conf as there was LOOKAHEAD = 4096 defined in /opt/splunk/etc/system/default/transforms.conf

So the main problem was LOOKAHEAD = 4096 which affects sedcmd too. Not really intuitive.

0 Karma

cssmdi
Explorer

Hi

I have the same problem. Long events are truncated by sedcmd at about 4000 characters length of an event.

Any solution?

0 Karma

oliverja
Path Finder

Got a 320k long event just now. I really don't want to set a global "allow massive json" option in KV, I would rather just strip this data out.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...