Getting Data In

What actually happens when someone presses the "Disable" button on the page of a modular input?

akorzun
Explorer

Hello,

I am writing a modular input in Java. What actually happens when someone presses the "Disable" button on the page of a modular input? Does Splunk just kill Java process? If it doesn't then how can I catch the close signal in Java? I want to write the graceful shutdown.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When someone fills in the bits for your modular input, it creates an entry in inputs.conf. Disable is to disable that stanza in inputs.conf
So, it doesn't interrupt the current "grab" it will just not get data on the next interval and beyond...

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma

akorzun
Explorer

Thank you for the answer. I have one more question. What happens with an active modular input when Splunk is stopped?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...