Getting Data In

Use headers as fields for CSV imports on splunk cloud platform

pelican
Explorer

Hi, i'm using the splunk cloud platform for a  school project. When I import my csv files into splunk, it doesn't seem to recognise the headers of my csv as a field. Does anyone know how to get splunk to recognise my headers? thanks for any help

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @pelican,

As a quick and dirty solution, you can select "csv" in the "Source type:" drop-down on the Set Source Type page of the Add Data process. This will tell Splunk to read field names from the first line of the file and index subsequent lines using the header fields as indexed field extractions.

After the file is indexed, you can search for it in the default index using:

sourcetype=csv

If you specified a non-default index, add the index to the search:

index=homework sourcetype=csv

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @pelican,

As a quick and dirty solution, you can select "csv" in the "Source type:" drop-down on the Set Source Type page of the Add Data process. This will tell Splunk to read field names from the first line of the file and index subsequent lines using the header fields as indexed field extractions.

After the file is indexed, you can search for it in the default index using:

sourcetype=csv

If you specified a non-default index, add the index to the search:

index=homework sourcetype=csv

0 Karma

pelican
Explorer

Thank you so much, I've spent at least 10 hours on this

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...