Getting Data In

Universal Fowarder support Apps

ngcgoon
Explorer

I haven't seen any conclusive documentation on this, however does the Universal forwarder support Apps like the Splunk for windows app? I want to monitor server health, last time you have to install the app on the server and on the indexer. I would be nice to have that app running with the universal forwarder even if it's command line configured else I will use the splunk light forwarder.

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Universal forwarder can support a large percentage of Splunk Apps - but there will be some that won't work. Some apps may have python scripted inputs that may not work on universal forwarder, because it does not include the python runtime.

I know UF can support Splunk for *nix, and I assume Splunk for Windows works as well (but I'm not sure)

The vaguest (but most accurate) answer is "it depends on the app"

View solution in original post

sf-mike
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you have apps that use python, you can still use them. You'll just have to install python separately.

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You will also need to make sure that the path to python is in Splunk's system path and that all the necessary modules (e.g. splunk, splunk.search, splunk.auth) are present.

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Universal forwarder can support a large percentage of Splunk Apps - but there will be some that won't work. Some apps may have python scripted inputs that may not work on universal forwarder, because it does not include the python runtime.

I know UF can support Splunk for *nix, and I assume Splunk for Windows works as well (but I'm not sure)

The vaguest (but most accurate) answer is "it depends on the app"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...