Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder - stops forwarding after restarting splunk service

carbonegg

I installed the universal forwarder 4.2.5 on my remote Linux machine and set it to monitor my squid access logs.

After installing it, I run the following commands to have the data sent to my Splunk server:

Start the server

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk start

Add server address

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add forward-server 192.168.2.2:9997

Monitor File

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk monitor /var/log/squid/access.log -sourcetype squid

Immediately after issuing the last command which monitors the access.log file, the events start flowing into the server and I can view them on the Squid App and Search app. Everything works fine.

The problem starts when I restart Splunk. After issuing the ./splunk restart command, Splunk starts up okay, but the logs are no longer forwarded to the server. I have not seen any errors. I am not sure why it stops sending logs to the server after restarting it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

carbonegg

Hello Gekoner,

After issuing "splunk monitor /var/log/squid/access.log -sourcetype squid" command, the following is appended to the inputs.conf file in the "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/search/local" directory:

[monitor:///var/log/squid/access.log]
disabled = false
sourcetype = squid

And after the "splunk add forward-server 192.168.2.2:9997" command, the following gets appended to the outputs.conf file in the "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local" directory:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = 192.168.2.2_9997
disabled = false

[tcpout:192.168.2.2_9997]
server = 192.168.2.2:9997

[tcpout-server://192.168.2.2:9997]

So I believe that what you are talking about is being done when I give splunk the commands mentioned above. I am not sure what other inputs.conf or outputs.conf are there for me to put the info in.

Even after a restart, if I issue the add monitor command again, it won't let me because it says the file is already being monitored. So there must be a file somewhere that knows I already issued the add monitor command. Even after I delete the info in the inputs.conf file and reissue the add monitor command, it still won't let me because it thinks I am already monitoring it.

0 Karma

gekoner
Communicator

OK, yes I see that those commands do add the correct stanza to the conf files. Run a splunk list forward-server after you restart splunk on the universal forwarder. And let us know the output.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...