Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder on Windows not picking up log files?

Dmikos1271
Explorer

I've been able to deploy universal forwarders to dozens of Windows servers that run IIS logs. I have created a dedicated index and I have pushed an app (used to be Splunk supported, they have since moved to a different app package) to said forwarders. The forwarders are set to send the data to our indexer cluster. To cover my bases for the different versions I have included several different monitor stanzas in the inputs.conf file:

[monitor://C:\inetpub\logs\...\W3S*\*.log]

disabled = false

sourcetype = ms:iis:auto

index=iis

[monitor://C:\inetpub\logs\*\W3S*\*.log]

disabled = false

index=iis

[monitor://C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V*\Logging\Ews]

disabled = false

index=iis

When deployed to the dozens of servers, I'm not seeing any data come back up or even any path watches coming back when searching the logs coming back from the universal forwarders. As a test I have added several files to a dedicated server and kept playing around with the monitor stanzas with no luck. When opening the inputs.conf locally on that server in notepad, the text looked merged so I added some spaces and line breaks. Restarted the service, I can path watches added but still nothing coming in. Even when specifying a path to a file, nothing comes in:

[monitor://C:\Test\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\u_ex221010.log]

disabled = false

index=iis

For something that seems so simple, where am I going wrong?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...