Getting Data In

Unique Contraint in Splunk

akshgpt25
Explorer

We have a number of files containing events. Each event has a unique id in itself. but the same event(with the same event_id) can exist in other files as well. We want 1 event to be indexed 1 time in Splunk and if the event with the same event_id comes again just avoid it. This is the same as _id in Elastic Search or another database's primary key.

Is it possible to achieve the same in Splunk? If yes, How?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if this can first validate if an event is in Splunk before it routes data to Splunk and I don't know a great deal about it, but the DSP component may do what you want

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/stream-processing.html

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@akshgpt25 

Not sure it is possible during indexing, but you can get unique event in SPL by using dedup command. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/SearchReference/Dedup

Thanks

0 Karma

akshgpt25
Explorer

Thanks, @kamlesh_vaghela 

But we have millions of events with this behavior and every time end-user have to use dedup in all their queries.

Is there any other way to achieve the same?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @akshgpt25 ,

as @kamlesh_vaghela  said it isn't possible to filter events before indexing to avoid duplicates, but you could ingest all the data and schedule a search that extract the unduplicated events and store them in a summary_index, then you can use this index for your searches.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...