Getting Data In

Unable to index Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Operational

mcmiked97
Engager

Hello,

I would like to index all print events generated on Windows Server 2012 Event log. The log is located under Windows Logs, Applications and Services, Microsoft, Windows, PrintService, Operational (and Admin).

I installed a Universal Forwarder on the print server then tried to view logs on my indexer, and the only Available Logs are the standard ones. If I look at Data Inputs for Local Log File Collection, the PrintService logs are available.

Here are the contents of my local\inputs.conf

[default]
host = PS-MAINOFFICE2

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin]
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Operational]
disabled = 0

Here's what shows in my splunkd.log on the print server:

02-27-2014 13:18:45.767 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-winevtlog.exe"" splunk-winevtlog - WELCheckPoint::saveCheckpointStr: Unable to open checkpoint file='C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\lib\splunk\modinputs\WinEventLog\microsoft-windows-printservice/operational' for write
    02-27-2014 13:18:45.767 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-winevtlog.exe"" splunk-winevtlog - WinEventLogChannel::saveBookMark: Failed to save checkpoint_file='C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\lib\splunk\modinputs\WinEventLog\microsoft-windows-printservice/operational' for channel='microsoft-windows-printservice/operational'
    02-27-2014 13:18:45.767 -0500 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-winevtlog.exe"" splunk-winevtlog - WinEventMon::processLogChannel: Failed to checkpoint for channel='microsoft-windows-printservice/operational'

Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks,
Mike

mcmiked97
Engager

I don't know what happened, but the problem seemed to have fixed itself. I'm seeing print events now. A couple things to clarify:

1. Make sure the PrintService Operational (and/or Admin) event logs are enabled in Windows.
  2. Ensure that the inputs.conf file you modified is in C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local
  3. Restart the Splunk Universal Forwarder service after any modifications to the file.

FWIW, my Splunk Forwarder service runs under LocalSystem account, not a specific user account. Are you seeing the same errors I saw in my Splunk logs?

0 Karma

TobiasBoone
Communicator

Looking for a solution to this as well.

0 Karma

selim
Path Finder

Did you get a solution for this? I'm facing the same error and can not figure out what's going on.

thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...