Getting Data In

Timestamp extraction config (props) is not working

dongwonn
Explorer

Hello, 

Log  :

Mar 22 10:50:51 x.x.x.21 Mar 22 11:55:00 Device version -: [2024-03-22 11:54:12] Event : , IP : , MAC : , Desc :

Props :

[host::x.x.x.21]

CHARSET = utf8
TIME_PREFIX = \-:\s\[
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S

When I check _time field, value is still 2021-03-22 10:50:51.

I think Device's IP is x.x.x.21.

So it seems that 21 is recognized as the year and I config props.

But props is not working...

Help me Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

KendallW
Path Finder

Hi @dongwonn a few things to check
-check the host field in Splunk matches the host:: stanza in your props.conf
-Since you are not explicitly specifying a lot of configs, they may be taking default values from other places. Use btool to check the full props settings being applied to this host:
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool props list host::x.x.x.21
-Update your TIME_PREFIX to capture the full string before the timestamp beginning at the start of the event, so that Splunk will definitely exclude the preceding timestamps. Example:
TIME_PREFIX=^\w{3}\s\d\d\s(\d{2}\:?){3}\s(\d{0,3}\.?){4}\s\w{3}\s\d\d\s(\d{2}\:?){3}\s[\w\s]+\-:\s\[

View solution in original post

dongwonn
Explorer

@gcusello @KendallW 

I receive the log via UDP from the heavy forwarder connected to the indexer. After setting the sourcetype to temp in the heavy forwarder (inputs), the sourcetype is set to override according to the host and regular expression. Is it correct to extract timestamps in the heavy forwarder props? No matter how many times I apply the settings you mentioned, it doesn't work. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @KendallW ,

check if the issue is related to the header or to thwe regex: use a sourcetype instead of host in the stanza header.

Sometimes I found an issue using host or source instead sourcetype.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

dongwonn
Explorer

Hello, Thank you for your answer. I already tried it but it doesn't work. I'll try it one more time!

0 Karma

KendallW
Path Finder

Hi @dongwonn a few things to check
-check the host field in Splunk matches the host:: stanza in your props.conf
-Since you are not explicitly specifying a lot of configs, they may be taking default values from other places. Use btool to check the full props settings being applied to this host:
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool props list host::x.x.x.21
-Update your TIME_PREFIX to capture the full string before the timestamp beginning at the start of the event, so that Splunk will definitely exclude the preceding timestamps. Example:
TIME_PREFIX=^\w{3}\s\d\d\s(\d{2}\:?){3}\s(\d{0,3}\.?){4}\s\w{3}\s\d\d\s(\d{2}\:?){3}\s[\w\s]+\-:\s\[

dongwonn
Explorer

Thank you for answer! I tried specifying and applying all the regular expressions as you answered, but it doesn't work. It's difficult...

0 Karma

dongwonn
Explorer

I don't know why, but after applying the settings and restarting, the year value was set normally.

[host::x.x.x.21]
TIME_PREFIX = ....

TIME_FORMAT = ....

So far, I have reloaded the settings with /debug/refresh, but this time I tried reloading the settings by restarting Splunk. Although the current operating environment is difficult to operate with just one server, is it possible that there may be cases where new settings are not reloaded?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dongwonn ,

not all the configuration are reloaded with /debug/refresh.

For this reason it's always better to restart Splunk.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

dongwonn
Explorer

Oh, in the future, timestamp issues will have to be resolved by restarting the instance. thank you @gcusello!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...