Getting Data In

TLS on HEC ends with RST every time.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello there.

While troubleshooting a completely other issue I noticed that if I try to send data to HEC input, every connection ends with RST. So the connection looks like this:

1) Normal TCP handshake

2) TLS negotiation

3) Huge chunk of encrypted data from the client to the HEC input (surely, the HTTP request)

4) Small chunk of encrypted data from splunk to the client (apparently - the HTTP response).

5) And here is where it goes weird - RST from the client to the splunk server.

Firstly I suspected the client but tests showed that it's not specific to any particular client. I used rsyslog with omhttp, I used curl - same result.

It seems to be connected to using TLS over the connection because curl-ing over non-TLS http to HEC inputs ends properly with FIN/ACK.

On the other hand however, if I open the connection with openssl s_client and try to perform the request manually, the connection stays open until I close it manually (then s_client sends proper FIN).

So I'm a bit lost. The RST's are most peculiar because you'd either expect a keep-alive (ok, with single request from curl you don't need keep-alive) and more requests over the same connection or a proper FIN/ACK.

It happens regardless of whether it's just server-supplied certificate or a mutual auth setup.

I checked in 8.1.2 at home as well as in 7.3.8 at customer's site - same result.

So I'm a bit puzzled here - is it some bug in HTTPS implementation that the session gets somehow invalidated so that the client resets it or does it have something to do with the configuration? Anyone encountered similar problem?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Interesting.

More digging into that shows that it might not be connected with splunk as such but rather with OpenSSL as such or its use in libcurl as plain curl does the same thing even while connecting to a simple web server, not necessarily to splunk whereas wget closes connection properly.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Interesting.

More digging into that shows that it might not be connected with splunk as such but rather with OpenSSL as such or its use in libcurl as plain curl does the same thing even while connecting to a simple web server, not necessarily to splunk whereas wget closes connection properly.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh, and there's nothing whatsoever in logs on either side of the connection.

So in general it wouldn't be so much of a concern but if you have many events to send and every single HTTP transaction must involve a completely new TLS negotiation, it's a bit of a pointless work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...