Getting Data In

TCP input override

hethu
Path Finder

Hi,

I am using a TCP input in splunk to receive WSUS data, gathered and pushed to splunk by a powershell script. 

My question is if it is possible to use the same input, and override source type based on a field value in the received data? I have field called "datasource" in my data.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

The_Simko
Path Finder

Yes, it is possible. Note, it may cause excessive CPU usage on the indexer / heavy forwarder.  

props.conf and transforms.conf (most likely on indexer, but if you have the data coming to a heavy forwarder, then put the props and transforms there as well)

In the transforms example below, adjust the regex to grab the field you are looking for. 

For More details, see: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides 

props.conf
[<sourcetype>]
TRANSFORMS-changedatasource = datasource_finder

transforms.conf
[datasource_finder]
SOURCE_KEY = _raw
REGEX = datasource=(\w+)
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...