Getting Data In

TA-nmon fifo_reader.py, fifo_reader.sh, nmon.fifo not running, permission denied

tbrown
Path Finder

The TA-nmon is not sending data to 'nmon' index on my splunk instance. I was looking through the troubleshoot guide for TA-nmon and I noticed that the forwarder was not running any of the three expected running processes (fifo_reader.py, fifo_reader.sh, nmon.fifo) when I ran a 'ps -ef | egrep nmon'. I tried starting these processes manually but it returned the message:

couldn't run "/opt/osi/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/bin/nmon_helper.sh": Permission denied

I saw another solution to this issue where the user changed the permissions for these exectuables, how would I do that? 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tbrown
Path Finder

Disregard the question, I gave permissions to these processes and they are running correctly now. Additionally, data is being sent to the 'nmon' index in Splunk which is good, but it is only sending the following data:

tbrown_0-1593454802492.png

Why are none of the metrics being forwarded?

When I try to start nmon using:

/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk cmd /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/bin/nmon_helper.sh

It gives the error:

ERROR nmon:diskgroup file - failed to find disk=fd0 for group=fd0 disks known=16

and stalls there until I manually cancel it. I assume this is the issue, how would i fix this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...