Getting Data In

Syslog extract browser type field

imorales
Engager

Hello,

I would like to extract the browser type string to some fields from Netscaler VPX syslog. Splunk doesn´t extract this user_agent field automatically. I have tried some reg expressions but no luck. Splunk receives this data events:

Vserver 172.128.4.4:443 - Browser_type "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.131 Safari/537.36" - SSLVPN_client_type Clientless

Vserver 172.128.4.4:443 - Browser_type "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; es-es; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobi" - SSLVPN_client_type Clientless

How can I extract this client information to these fields:

- os_company: The OS vendor
 - os_family: The OS family
 - os_name: The name of the OS
 - ua_build_version: The build version of the browser
 - ua_company: The user-agent vendor
 - ua_family: The user-agent family (Firefox, Safari, IE, etc.)
 - ua_major_version: Major version of the user agent
 - ua_minor_version: Minor version of the user agent
 - ua_name: Full name of the user agent
Tags (2)

amitkr0201
Explorer

You can solve your problem in two step process:

1. Extract full user agent. A simple rex command or an entry in props.conf will do. Something similar to "\"(?P<UserAgent>[^\"]+)\"".

2. Use a python script to extract detailed data from user agent string. An example of such script: https://github.com/JustinAzoff/splunk-scripts/blob/master/ua2os.py

Keep in mind that the python script linked might not be up to date and you might need to make additions to it for newer browsers/OS etc.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you post the expected values (based on your example) for these fields?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...