In your REST API documentation you have the following json example:

// sample JSON output
// https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs/1234/results?output_mode=json

[
{
"_cd": "0:4374557",
"_index": "main",
"_kv": "1",
"_meta": " date_second::36 date_hour::19 date_minute::11 date_year::2008 date_month::january date_mday::21 date_wday::monday date_zone::-480 punct::_[//:::_-]____\\\"@...\\\"...",
"_raw": "I [21/Jan/2008:19:11:36 -0800] Added remote printer \"HPLaserJ@10.1.1.123\"...",
"_serial": "0",
"_time": "1200971496",
"date_hour": "19",
"date_mday": "21",
"date_minute": "11",
"date_month": "january",
"date_second": "36",
"date_wday": "monday",
"date_year": "2008",
"date_zone": "-480",
"host": "decider.local",
"linecount": "1",
"punct": "_[//:::_-]____\"@...\"...",
"source": "/var/log/cups/error_log",
"sourcetype": "cups_error"
},

However when I make an api request and then check results from the /results endpoint, I only see the raw data and a few other fields, like so:

{
"_cd": "6:719660",
"_indextime": "1305696946",
"_raw": "id=\"123\" color=\"red\" foo= model=\"accord\"",
"_serial": "93",
"_si": "log.example.com\nmain",
"_sourcetype": "car_sourcetype",
"_time": "2010-07-18T19:19:30.000+00:00",
"host": "log.example.com",
"index": "main",
"linecount": "1",
"source": "cars",
"sourcetype": "cars_sourcetype",
"splunk_server": "log.example.com"

},

Note that _kv is missing, as well as the broken-out keys and values. What triggers these to be put in the api results? I can't find anything obvious in the api docs.

-Steve

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

stevesq
Explorer

I made it work by including

required_field_list=*

in the search POST:

curl -u admin:foobar -k https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs -d"search=search source=cars | head 1 &required_field_list=*"

Could be a bug.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

stevesq
Explorer

I made it work by including

required_field_list=*

in the search POST:

curl -u admin:foobar -k https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs -d"search=search source=cars | head 1 &required_field_list=*"

Could be a bug.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

stevesq,

I suspect key-value pair extracting is not occurring for your sourcetype. Key-value extraction is configured via props.conf/transforms.conf. Once key-value pair extractions are specified for your data, search results will reflect this information and so will results retrieved via the api.

What's interesting is that Splunk is not automatically extracting key=value pairs in your _raw message. Perhaps KV_MODE is set to None or "Field discovery" was disabled (if search was executed from the UI).

Can you verify flashtimeline searches return the expected "id/color/foo/model" fields?

0 Karma

stevesq
Explorer

"search results will reflect this information and so will results retrieved via the api."

My search results seem to be keyed fine - e.g. if I pipe a search to "table *" or search for "color=red", the right things happen. Splunk is clearly treating my data as properly separated-out rows/cols/cells.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...