Getting Data In

Streaming data into Splunk for Analytics

Keblorki
Engager

Hello!

As a newcomer to the world of IT and Cyber Security, i am having some trouble.
I am trying to set up a splunk homelab environment to get some hands on experience with the application.
My hopeful goal is to be able to import or stream some data to a splunk dashboard to be able to mess a round and learn for starters, but eventually set up my own home network monitoring system.

Ive been able to statically import some local logs and read them over, which is fine. Id like to be able to setup a better environment for detecting intrusions and analyzing for IOCs.

If anyone has some helpful links or advice i would very much appreciate it!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

kprior201
Path Finder

I'd recommend seeing if your home router/firewall can stream syslog and setting up a forwarder to ingest those logs regularly. Install a forwarder on your PC and monitor your windows/linux/whatever you use logs that way as well. I think that would be a good start for messing around with data, at least.

Also, check out https://www.splunk.com/en_us/training/course-catalog.html?sort=Newest&filters=filterGroup1FreeCourse... if you haven't. There's lots of good content there for beginners.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...