Getting Data In

Splunk timeformat issue

uagraw01
Builder

Hello Splunkers!!

I have a below event and I want to parse. But the event is not parsing with time format in Splunk. Please help me to get it fix .

TIME_FORMAT :

%dT%H:%M:%S.%3QZ

TIME_PREFIX :

\<eqtext\:EventTime\>

I have used the above setting but nothings works. StillI can see isse with indexed and event time. Please help me to get it fix.

uagraw01_0-1721015920771.png

Below are the raw events:

<eqtext:EquipmentEvent xmlns:eqtext="http:///FM/EqtEvent/EqtEventExtTypes/V1/1/5" xmlns:sbt="http://FM/Common/Services/ServicesBaseTypes/V1/8/4" xmlns:eqtexo="http://FM/EqtEvent/EqtEventExtOut/V1/1/5"><eqtext:ID><eqtext:Location><eqtext:PhysicalLocation><AreaID>7053</AreaID><ZoneID>33</ZoneID><EquipmentID>25</EquipmentID><ElementID>0</ElementID></eqtext:PhysicalLocation></eqtext:Location><eqtext:Description> Welder cold</eqtext:Description><eqtext:MIS_Address>6.2</eqtext:MIS_Address></eqtext:ID><eqtext:Detail><State>CAME_IN</State><eqtext:EventTime>2024-07-13T16:21:31.287Z</eqtext:EventTime><eqtext:MsgNr>7751154552301783480</eqtext:MsgNr><Severity>INFO</Severity><eqtext:OperatorID>WALVAU-SCADA-1</eqtext:OperatorID><ErrorType>TECHNICAL</ErrorType></eqtext:Detail></eqtext:EquipmentEvent></eqtexo:EquipmentEventReport>

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might want to set it to a bit higher value. The timestamp is relatively late in the event and the part before the timestamp contains dynamic data which can be of varying length so you have to account for that.

Bonus question - you're not using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS, are you?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

After increasing this attribute (MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD ) setting in props resolve my issue. Thanks to all the Splunk Trust people.

I am accepting this solution.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. For "ASAP" you pay your friendly consultant or PS. This is a community-driven forum - people help others in their own spare time. Saying "help me ASAP" can be perceived as rude.

2. How do you ingest your data? UF->indexer? HF->indexer? UF->HF->indexer? What input do the events come in by. Where do you have the props.conf for the sourcetype?

3. You have the timestamp relatively late in the event and - as you've shown - your MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD is set to only 24.

4. When posting config excerpts or data samples please use code block or preformatted style. It greatly helps readability.

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick Please don't take my words otherwise. I didn't mean to say that. Btw way thanks for correcting me. I will take care with my words from the next time.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thought as much, it's just worth noting that things can be perceived differently than what we wanted to say 😉

Now, check the technical part of my response 🙂

Most probably, you need to increase the lookahead because you have no timestamp in first 24 chars of your event. The architectural issue might also mean that when you fix that you'll be doing the right thing but in wrong place.

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick According to your suggestion my settings will be as below 

MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 520
 ( timestamps comes after 520 character of events)

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You might want to set it to a bit higher value. The timestamp is relatively late in the event and the part before the timestamp contains dynamic data which can be of varying length so you have to account for that.

Bonus question - you're not using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS, are you?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick No, I am not using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS.

I am using KV_MODE=xml in my setting ( props). Is there any other significance of INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS ? 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS can alter the procesing path of your event. Without it the event is parsed on the first "heavy" component the event goes through - typically either the intermediate HF or the destination indexer. When you enable indexed extractions on a UF, the data is parsed directly on the originating UF and is not touched after that (apart from possible ingest actions).

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick I am using the standalone machine ( act as search head and indexer both ). So its good to add this attribute in props ?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, no, no. Don't add it anywhere.

Where are you ingesing the data from? A file on this Splunk server or by means of a remote UF?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick Here I am monitoring the network files from the network folder.

No UF, No HF I am using.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. And you have your props.conf on that HF?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick No, I am using standalone windows machine. On the same machine I am using props.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhh, I misread. You wrote "no uf, no hf" I read "no uf, on hf I'm using..."

My bad. Forget it 🙂

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@inventsekar 

[Scada_walmart_alarm]
DATETIME_CONFIG =
KV_MODE = xml
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
CHARSET = UTF-8
LINE_BREAKER = <\/eqtext\:EquipmentEvent
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 24
TIME_FORMAT = %FT%H:%M:%S.%3Q%Z
#TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%Z
TIME_PREFIX = \<eqtext\:EventTime\>
SEDCMD-first = s/^.*<eqtext:EquipmentEvent/<eqtext:EquipmentEvent/g

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01 .. for the timeformat.. did you apply both mine and @yuanliu 's timeformat's?..

(after updating the props.conf, you must restart the splunk services.. then only the changes will be inserted to Splunk)

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1) Pls give us the search query you are using.. 

what you see on the results is your splunk user profile's timezone setting. 

2) on your Splunk user profile, pls make sure you have the right timezone settings (click on your username---- > Account settings---- > Time Zone)

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@inventsekar 
If you see the below attached screenshot. The first three events is matching but the last one event is always creating an issue. 

FYI : I am using default timezone setting.

uagraw01_0-1721021072617.png

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first three may be working because Splunk might not be finding the timestamp you are searching for within 520 characters, so it is finding the sbt:MessageTimeStamp, which happens to be the same as the EventTime in these events.

sbt:MessageTimeStamp does not exist in the failing event so Splunk is using the ingest time in the fourth event.

The fourth event is a different format to the the other three events "eqtext:EquipmentEvent" instead of "eqtexo:EquipmentEventReport" so should ideally be in a different sourcetype (at least the source file names are different so it should be relatively easy to split them off).

The timestamp in the fourth event is at least around 627 characters in so your lookahead should at least cover that (and as @PickleRick said, it looks like you are dealing with variable length data, so 627 may not be enough).

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

if 3 results got good timestamp meaning, props.conf is working fine. 

lets troubleshoot the 4th one.. 

pls copy paste your search query..  (remove the hostnames, confidential info etc.. )

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Customer Experience | Splunk 2024: New Onboarding Resources

In 2023, we were routinely reminded that the digital world is ever-evolving and susceptible to new ...

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...