Getting Data In

Splunk not treating each line as event after forwarding

jamesvz84
Communicator

Hello,

I have a log where I need to treat each line as an event. I set up the sourcetype in props.conf for this to happen and it works fine on a standalone Splunk instance. However, when I try this with a Universal Forwarder sending to an intermediate heavy forwarder, then on to the indexer, it doesn't work in making each line an event. Below are my props.conf entries. I have props.conf on both the universal forwarder and indexer (but not on intermediate heavy forwarder). In inputs.conf. I have set the input to have this sourcetype:

props.conf:
[sep_syslog]
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
pulldown_type = 1
EXTRACT-messsage = (?i)^(?:[^\t]*\t){6}(?P<messsage>.+)

Am I missing anything here? Should I also put props.conf on intermediate forwarder? Again, this works fine on a standalone instance.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to match all props and transforms on the indexer and the heavy forwarder. The processing is done on heavy forwarder for events sent there, and on the indexer for events send directly there. I use Deployment Server to keep them all coordinated.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Universal forwarder don't do any parsing hence, keep the props.conf to intermediate heavy forwarder and indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...