Getting Data In

Splunk data forwarding and indexing data drop issue

manikandankasi
Explorer

Hi,

I'm facing issue with data forwarding to splunk. i'm not sure where data being dropped and its happening randomly.
Details:
I have text (key-value pair) file with 6.5 million lines(events) with same timestamp (_time) configured.
but while ingesting file to splunk via Heavy forwarder, it automatically incrementing _time +1 sec for every 100k or 200k events randomly.
Observation:
if the _time +1 sec increment happens for every 100k events, then no issues data completely ingest to splunk.
if some times _time +1 sec increment happens for 200+k events, we are observing data drop, only 4 to 4.5 million events got ingested out of 6.5 million events.

splunk log giving this warning:
WARN DateParserVerbose - The same timestamp has been used for 500K consecutive times. If more than 200K events have the same timestamp, not all events may be retrieveable

Splunk Environment details:
Splunk Version: 7.2.6

Could you please advice what is root cause of this issue and remedy for same.

Thanks In Advance !!!.
Mani

Tags (1)
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Your sourcetype is not properly extracting the timestamp, OR...your log entries do not include milliseconds.
In either case, Splunk cannot determine unique events, and generates the messages you described.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

I'll suggest here to fix timestamp at source (which is generating this log) so that it will be unique for every event (For example include milliseconds in your timestamp), it will be helpful for few scenario while searching those data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...