Getting Data In

Splunk Web on Windows won't listen on port 8000

hughkelley
Path Finder

I have a UAC-enabled Server 2008 R2 machine with Splunk splunk-4.1.7-95063-x64-release installed.

I am using a low-privilege (just the minimum listed in the docs, http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Installation/InstallonWindows#Choosing_the_user_Splu...).

This seems fine for splunkd, it can run, open port 8089, and appears to be indexing.

The splunkweb service never opens a port and seems to generate these errors every time it starts. Apparently it wants to query the Service Control Manager.

When I run the service interactively I get a UAC prompt.

Log Name: Security Source:
Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Event ID: 4656 Task Category: Other Object Access Events Level:
Information Keywords: Audit Failure Description: A handle to an object was requested.

Subject: Security ID: xxx\service-splunk Account Name: service-splunk Account Domain: xxx Logon ID: 0x15cb85

Object: Object Server: SC Manager Object Type: SC_MANAGER OBJECT Object Name: ServicesActive Handle ID: 0x0

Process Information: Process ID: 0x204 Process Name: C:\Windows\System32\services.exe

Access Request Information: Transaction ID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} Accesses: DELETE READ_CONTROL WRITE_DAC WRITE_OWNER Connect to service controller Create a new service Enumerate services Lock service database for exclusive access Query service database lock state Set last-known-good state of service database Access Reasons: - Access Mask: 0xf003f Privileges Used for Access Check: - Restricted SID Count: 0

Tags (2)
0 Karma

hughkelley
Path Finder

Port 8000 isn't in use by anybody else.

I haven't tried disabling UAC since that's a no-go configuration in our environment. I did try running the Python exe interactively (-debug) as the service account. That's when I saw the UAC prompt.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried re-entering the password for the service account in the Services Control panel?

0 Karma

hughkelley
Path Finder

Yes, the service runs fine when I make the account a local administrator, so the username and password are fine.

I feel pretty confident this is a Windows UAC issue. The documentation seems to indicate that this (non-admin) configuration can be made to work.

Has anybody else gotten it going?

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

What user is SplunkWeb running as? LocalSystem? If you (temporarily) disable UAC, does it make any difference? If you run netstatn -an -p tcp, is port 8000 used for anything else?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...