Getting Data In

Splunk User of windows SplunkForwarder

maede_yavari
Explorer

Hello,

I'm encountering an issue with Splunk Forwarder on a Windows Server OS. When it runs under the "SplunkForwarder" user, it fails to send Sysmon logs. Surprisingly, the forwarding works correctly when the forwarder is configured to run as the "SYSTEM" user.

While this resolves the immediate problem, I'm hesitant to continue using the "SYSTEM" user due to its extensive access to system resources. I'm seeking a better solution that allows the Splunk Forwarder to send Sysmon logs without compromising security. Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @maede_yavari,

this isn't a Splunk issue: if you want to have more security running Splunk Universal Forwarder with a not LOCAL SYSTEM user, you have to give to the user that you're using the grants to read you eventlog: you need a Windows technician, or you could accept to run Splunk using SYSTEM.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...