Getting Data In

Splunk UFW - Indexing Headers as Events

krisalexroberts

Apologies as I know this has been asked a few times, but none of the answers I have found seem to work.

I have some fairly simple scripts that output 2 row CSV files, like this:

examplefile.csv
Server,ip_address,latency
Test,192.168.0.1,10ms

The script runs on a RPI and using the UFW, but when the UFW extracts the data, it extracts the top row as an event. I have literally tried everything I can think of (props.conf) - here are some of the examples I've tried

[examplecsv]
CHARSET=UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
CHECK_FOR_HEADER=true
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER=1
HEADER_FIELD_DELIMITER=,
FIELD_DELIMITER=,

And

[examplecsv]
CHARSET=UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
FIELD_NAMES = server,ip_address,latency

And

[examplecsv]
    CHARSET=UTF-8
    INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
    DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT
    CHECK_FOR_HEADER=true
    PREAMBLE_REGEX = server,ip_address,latency

And even gone as far as this

[examplecsv]
CHARSET = UTF-8
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
description = Comma-separated value format. Set header and other settings in "Delimited Settings"
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Custom
disabled = false
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1
FIELD_NAMES = server,ip_address,latency
PREAMBLE_REGEX = server,ip_address,latency

I've tried every sensible suggestion and combination of the above but each time it indexes the first line as an event, and it's really bugging me now! I guess I'm doing something obviously wrong.

For completeness, here is my inputs.conf:

[default]
host = test-sensor
[monitor:///home/pi/SplunkFiles/examplefile.csv]
index=main
sourcetype=examplecsv

Props.conf and inputs.conf are both on the UFW and if I run the following command the conf appears:sudo ./splunk cmd btool props list --debug | grep /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/props.conf

Please help me!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...