Getting Data In

Splunk Receiving Syslog Mesages via TCP or UDP

scornish
Engager

All, I'm going to configure Splunk to receive Syslog messages and have not yet decided which transport protocol I will be using.

I'm thinking of just sticking with UDP devices some of my devices may only be able to send messages using UDP.

Besides the normal preferences for TCP over UDP, why is it strongly recommended to configure Splunk to receive Syslog messages via TCP instead of UDP?

Stephanie

Tags (1)

krugger
Communicator

I would argue that the preference for TCP is because UDP syslog messages are truncated at around 1K bytes. So if you intend to have long messages coming in via syslog you should chose TCP.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is not strongly recommended from Splunk to favor TCP over UDP in general. This will be dictated by your own requirements. In cases where delivery of log messages needs to be guaranteed, you will have to use TCP. Similarly, if you need to encrypt the data connection, you should use TCP. However, if (for example) your application logs directly over TCP and the local queue fills up, then your application will block or have to wait to write its own log messages. In many cases, this will be be unacceptable as it will probably cause severe application performance degradation. In such cases, UDP will be preferred.

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The recommendation partially stems from the protocol itself. UDP does not provide guarantee of delivery which can cause data to go missing. Specific to Splunk, the tcp connection will log additional metrics (like source host) within Splunk. When considering connection problems or missing data, the TCP connection is much more desirable.

Lowell
Super Champion

You can setup both at the same time. You may also want to consider setting up syslog-ng in front of splunk due to splunk downtime and disk persistence issues. See the following splunk blog for some additional info:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...