Getting Data In

Splunk Index is slow or delayed

dbuchanan46

The issue I'm having is with an index and real time reporting that uses that index. We currently use Rabbit MQ to send JSON messages to a TCP port. The rate is only about 250 messages/second. In Splunk the messages seem to take a few minutes to completely show up. For example, when running a search of the sourcetype for last 15 minutes, the most recent minute (ex. 11:50 am) might show a total of 500 events. When I run the same search a couple of minutes later, that same minute (11:50 am) has grown to 7,000. It appears the index takes a few minutes to catch up. We are trying to run real time reports, so this is causing the reports to be inaccurate.

We have run real time reports for other indexes we create the same way, so we are a little stumped on why this one doesn’t act the same. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Real-time search don't work the same as Report Searches (standard searches). This is because Real-time searches search through events as they are being streamed to the index while report searches are reading back disk.

So if you have delays in sending or indexing the search will only show events that it received in that window. If more events show up a few seconds/minutes later the wont be show in the real time search. Since those events were delayed you run your search again for that same time period not in real-time the indexer has caught up or finished receiving those delayed events so your count is larger. You will see discrepancies if your Splunk Queues on the Indexers or forwarders are having blocking issues. Also you could have NTP issues on your servers causing timestamp issues.

Additional Reading:

Hope this help you or gets you started. Dont forget to vote and accept answers that help.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...