Getting Data In

Splunk - How to convert Logs to Metrics (SQL Add on)?

ssj3abid
Engager

Hi, 

I am trying to get SQL Performance monitoring logs into our environment for one of our ITSI use cases

The event successfully comes into our event index however I would like to convert these performance monitoring sql logs into metrics as it will work much better with ITSI 

I am struggling to convert the logs into metrics and am using the following documentation to help me do so - 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.1/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileswithstructureddata

Here are my props and transforms conf files for 1 of the sql perfmon inputs

props.conf 

[Perfmon:sqlserverhost:physicaldisk]
TRANSFORMS-field_value = field_extraction
TRANSFORMS-sqlphysicaldiskmetrics = eval_sqlphysicaldiskcounter
METRIC-SCHEMA-TRANSFORMS = metric-schema:extract_sqlphysicaldisk

transforms.conf

[eval_sqlphysicaldiskcounter]
INGEST_EVAL = metric_name=counter

[metric-schema:extract_sqlphysicaldisk]
METRIC-SCHEMA-MEASURES = _ALLNUMS_

My SQL index where i would like these logs to go into does not have the "datatype=metrics" setting as i thought this should convert the events into metrics regardless, also i changed this setting so that the datatype = metrics but this removed all the data entirely and no data was populated into the sql index 

I can still see the event data populating in the SQL index but it cannot be searched using the metrics commands (mstats, mcatalog etc) 

Note - There are 8 counter field values which i would like to convert individually into metrics hence why i set the metric_name = counter. I did not break it down individually into separate settings under the transforms.conf due to there being spaces in the field values

ssj3abid_0-1662148412184.png

Any idea why this is failing and how i can fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Any questions please ask! 

Thanks

Labels (2)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...