Getting Data In

Since our IIS log format changed, how do I tell Splunk to reindex IIS logs with a new format?

JasonCarter80
Explorer

On a few of our IIS servers, some one checked off a few extra fields to be logged, which is not bad to have more information, but the problem is that Splunk is treating it like the old format.

There are 4 servers with the original setup, and 2 with the new setup.

How do I tell splunk to reprocess the logs from those two sources with a new format?

Tags (4)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This is a particular problem with some types of logging: it's very typical for someone (like an IIS admin) to change stuff. To deal with this, Splunk 6 added a feature, which is described here: Extract data from files with headers

I would recommend this new feature for your IIS logs. (Use the INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = W3C in your props.conf)
This way, you do not need to re-index your old data. Set this up and remove the data with the "new" setup (which is showing up wrong) and re-index just that data.

Once you have done this, going forward, Splunk will always examine the header of your IIS logs and figure out the right fields for the particular file. So no matter what the IIS admins do, you will be covered.

RicoSuave
Builder

Can you elaborate on what you mean by reprocess? I'm assuming you are looking to have splunk extract the new fields that are now in the logs that previously weren't. Is this correct?

0 Karma

JasonCarter80
Explorer

Maybe not reprocess, but change the log type maybe? Its picking up the entire row including the new fields, but its combining some of the old data with the new data and its making my reports all jumbled.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...