Getting Data In

Sending Opentelemetry collector logs to Splunk

stephen
Observer

Hello team, I want to forward Opentelemetry collector logs to Splunk. I'm not referring to sending application logs to Splunk using Splunk HEC exporter. When you have logging exporter configured on your collector, your terminal shows collector logs such as

2021-08-09T12:55:28.110Z	info	healthcheck/handler.go:128	Health Check state change	{"component_kind": "extension", "component_type": "health_check", "component_name": "health_check", "status": "ready"}
2021-08-09T12:55:28.110Z	info	service/service.go:267	Everything is ready. Begin running and processing data.

when the collector is ready or

2021-08-09T12:55:33.511Z	info	exporterhelper/queued_retry.go:276	Exporting failed. Will retry the request after interval.	{"component_kind": "exporter", "component_type": "otlp", "component_name": "otlp", "error": "failed to push log data via OTLP exporter: rpc error: code = DeadlineExceeded desc = context deadline exceeded", "interval": "4.121551979s"}

when the collector fails to export data.

I want to send these collector logs to Splunk. Is there a way to configure the Splunk HEC exporter to capture these collector logs and send it to Splunk?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

atoulme
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello! You will need to use the Splunk HEC exporter for this purpose: https://github.com/signalfx/splunk-otel-collector/tree/main/examples/otel-logs-splunk

Senior Engineering Manager, Blockchain and DLT
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...