Getting Data In

Route data to specific indexer based on an external mapping table

jldgomes
Engager

Hello everyone

I'm fairly familiar with routing data based on the logs themselves, however, I was wondering if there was a way to call an external mapping table in the transfoms.conf file.

Logs would contain one identifiable serial number

Firewall 1 with serial number xxxxxxxxxxxx

Firewall 2 with serial number yyyyyyyyyyyy

Firewall 3 with serial number zzzzzzzzzzzz

And we would like to send each log to a different indexer depending on that serial number.

Serial numbers are included in the logs and we have a mapping table  that looks like this:

serial number     indexer

xxxxxxxxxxxx    indexer 1

yyyyyyyyyyyy    indexer 2

zzzzzzzzzzzz    indexer 3

and so on...

The only way I see right now is to create one manual entry in the props and transform files and I was wondering if there was a way to call an external mapping table, that way, whenever a new firewall comes into play, we would only need to update the table and not props and transforms files.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma

jldgomes
Engager

Thanks @gcusello 

That was also my assumption. We are talking about 200-ish entries, which is "doable" but it would have been easier if there was another way.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jldgomes,

for my knowledge it isn't possible: you can only create a static association in props.conf and transfoms.conf between one or more regex rules (the serial number) and one or more indexers.

If these different serial numbers aren't too many, this is a way to have an higher control on your ingestions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...