Getting Data In

Retention policy for index not working as intended

annebeate
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a index which should only have data for the past 3 hours. I've set the frozenTimePeriodInSecs to 10800. I activated the configuration on the 2nd of February, but data are still present from that date. I think I need to reduce the size of the buckets. Could you please recommend which parameters I should set to accomplish a retention policy of 3 hours? The size of the index is 28 MB as of now.

[s02683_minesider_prod_audit]
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/s02683_minesider_prod_audit/colddb
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/s02683_minesider_prod_audit/db
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/s02683_minesider_prod_audit/thaweddb
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 10800

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hi,

You know that splunk will only freeze (i.e. delete) a bucket when the newest event in that bucket is older than your retention limit. Unless you have very high volume of traffic, you need to set your bucket size rather small.

For example, if your index receives 60 MB of logs per hour, you could set your bucket size to 10 MB. With average compression rates (~50%) you should have about 20 minutes worth of log data per bucket (as long as you only have one hot bucket at a time). Given that you only freeze when the newest event is too old, the oldest events in your index should be 3h20m at any given time.

However, working with so small indexes and buckets is not what Splunk was engineered for, and I don't know how often freeze checks are actually made. Also, I think that from a performance perspective, larger buckets (>750 MB) are more efficient, but then again, your data set seems rather small, so that perhaps has less impact in your case.

/K

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I was more thinking about maxDataSize.
maxHotSpanSecs might work too, but I think I would prefer the combination of frozenTimePeriodInSecs and maxDataSize. I have not played around with this extensively, so do not take my advice as Divine Truth.

Oh, and the freeze checks are controlled through the rotatePeriodInSecs parameter.

/K

0 Karma

annebeate
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply 🙂 Which parameter do you recommend that I use: maxHotSpanSecs or homePath.maxDataSizeMB?

homePath.maxDataSizeMB =
* Limits the size of the hot/warm DB to the maximum specified size, in MB.

maxHotSpanSecs =
* Upper bound of timespan of hot/warm buckets in seconds.
* Defaults to 7776000 seconds (90 days).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...